Home of the Roadrunners, Southwood was opened in September of 1954 with 18 classrooms and recently celebrated its 60th Anniversary. The school was originally situated on 26 acres of land, some of which was sold to the city for the Raytown Parks Department to develop Minor Smith Memorial Park. Southwood was the only Raytown elementary school to have a female principal, Louise Twiehaus, when it opened. Southwood was one of 11 schools opened in a 17 year period, where a bond election, which met with great voter support, was held every year.
School Supply Lists
The basic* school supply list for Southwood can be found here.
*These are basic lists to get students started for the year. Certain classroom activities may require additional supplies throughout the year. Many schools may also be holding school supply sales, and if so, they will be sending you information on dates and time.
As part of the district's efforts to be more environmentally friendly, embrace innovative technology and maintain fiscal responsibility, the district has transitioned from paper to electronic flier (eflier delivery). To publicize content that supports the basic educational mission of the district and/or benefits the population of the district in a positive manner, the Raytown C-2 School District uses Peachjar, a free online service for schools, to post approved efliers so that they are accessible to parents, staff and students as wanted/needed. To learn more about Peachjar, please click here.